Mill Valley Nursery School was established as a cooperative nursery school in 1941 by six Mill Valley mothers. On February 14, 1957, the school was incorporated as a non-profit organization. The school grew and in 1967 it moved to its present location at 51 Shell Road. The membership acquired the building and property and continues to manage it as part of the school cooperative.
Over time, MVNS has evolved with its changing membership. Each year the membership, together with the Director, gives shape to our school and our program.
MVNS keeps its operating expenses down by membership doing as much as it can for the school. For the rest, we reach out to our community for support. We have several fundraising events every year to help subsidize our costs, one of which is our annual Studio 24 party.
MVNS is part of the California Council of Parent Participation Nursery Schools. The CCPPNS is a state-wide community of parents and educators committed to teaching and inspiring families through parent involvement and mutual support. Parent participation nursery schools and preschools are founded on the principle that the best education will result from an active partnership among parents, teachers, and children.
Mill Valley Nursery School admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.